It is not our intention to work directly with millions of farmers and miners or thousands of factories. Instead, Solidaridad aims to provide proof of concept to producers, governments, companies and major development programmes, and to speed up the structures that facilitate duplication by third parties at scale.
The achievements of 2017 reflect this new strategy where the number of farmers, workers and miners supported is substantially lower than those reported in 2016. However, we can also report that we have supported 273 companies to adopt sustainable practices as drivers for change and that we have initiated or participated in 86 Multi-stakeholder initiatives as this is this a primary forum for discussing and building consensus on the sustainability agenda of different private and public stakeholders.
Visit the sections below to learn more about our impact on specific commodities in 2017.
- Aquaculture - Aquaculture is the fastest growing food production sector in the world.
- Cocoa - Together we can secure the future of cocoa farming.
- Coffee - Our longest-running programme.
- Cotton - Capable of generating income for producers and comfort for consumers, cotton is what weaves us together.
- Dairy - Change from within the dairy market can improve the livelihoods of people on family farms, and have environmental benefits.
- Fruit & Vegetables - Sowing sustainable nutrition across diverse agricultural sectors.
- Gold - Join us in helping make the true value of gold shine for all who are touched by it.
- Livestock - Through sustainable production, livestock is poised to balance the planet, people, and profits.
- Palm oil - Unleashing the true potential of the world's most used and fastest growing vegetable oil.
- Soy - We seek to empower the soy industry’s transition towards more sustainable and inclusive supply chains.
- Sugarcane - If produced sustainably, sugarcane is the crop of the future, poised to improve the lives of millions globally.
- Tea - Improving the sustainability of one of the world’s most popular beverages.
- Textiles - Working across the supply chain to make sustainable textile production more fashionable.